Two treated following N.B. apartment fire

Two people were treated at an area hospital for minor smoke inhalation in the early morning hours of Jan. 14 following a second floor apartment fire in the 1000 block of West County Road D in New Brighton.

Six chilly building occupants, unable to escape due to heavy smoke, were removed from upper level balconies by St. Anthony and Roseville firefighters.

The fire is not considered suspicious and “appeared” to be caused by unattended cooking, according to the New Brighton Department of Public Safety (NBDPS). The fire was confined to the single apartment of origin and quickly extinguished, according to the report. There were no firefighter injuries and the amount of damage is undetermined.

While “un-sprinkled,” the building and apartment of origin have fire alarms and smoke detectors that were operational at the time of the fire, the report said.

The NBDPS reminds everyone to never leave an item on the stove unattended and to check your smoke alarms regularly. 

The NBDPS continues to distribute batteries to New Brighton residents for their smoke alarms. Up to three free 9V batteries can be picked up at the Public Safety Center located at 785 Old Highway 8 N.W. between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays.

 —  Denny Lynard

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here