You are hereHome ›
Boys golf: Hill-Murray looking for right combination to repeat as CSC champions
The Hill-Murray Pioneers have high hopes of repeating as the Classic Suburban Conference boys golf champions, but head coach Kris Oftedahl knows there are plenty of others waiting in the wings to put up better scores.
The veteran head golf tutor said recently, “We are looking for good things. Especially from the four players we have returning from last year’s conference championship team.
“But we don’t have the depth in numbers and talent that we have had in the past few years. We will have to have some unknowns at this time step up and move into some key spots for us.”
Leading the Pioneers onto the greens this spring will be senior captains Brennan LaFeber and Peter Blaney.
Waiting in the wings and hoping to be able to make major contributions will be seniors Nick Engels and Joe Schaefer.
Behind them are a trio of juniors who hope to post some good numbers. Those juniors include Henry Venuta, Frank Seiler and Bryce Blinkhorn.
Also hoping for some good scores to post will be sophomore Sam Carlson.
Assisting with the coaching duties will be Paul Otto.
As coach Oftedahl considers the Pioneers’ competition, he says, “We have a good chance to win again, but Mahtomedi has a very strong team as well as Tartan, St. Thomas and Simley. We will have to make consistency one of our primary goals this season.”
The Pioneers are scheduled to open the season April 15 with a triangular match against Tartan and St. Thomas at Mendakota Country Club.
They will participate in a 14-school invitational which will be held at Stone Ridge Golf Course April 22.
The 2014 Hill-Murray Boys Golf Schedule:
• April 15, 2:45 p.m., vs. Tartan and St. Thomas at Mendakota CC
• April 22, 14-School Invitational 9 a.m., at Stoneridge GC
• April 23, 3:30 p.m., vs. Simley and Richfield at Crystal Lake GC
• April 24, 3:30 p.m., vs. North and Simley at Hillcrest CC
• April 28, noon, 24-School Invitational at Southview CC
• April 29, 2:45 p.m., vs. South St. Paul and Mahtomedi at Dellwood Hills GC
• April 30, 9 a.m., CSC (All Schools) Mid Season Tournament at Oak Glen GC
• May 6, 3 p.m., Mahtomedi and Sibley at Southview CC
• May 8, 3:30 p.m., vs. Sibley and Richfield at Hillcrest CC
• May 13, 3:30 p.m., vs. South St. Paul and Tartan at Hillcrest CC
• May 16, 2:30 p.m., vs. St. Thomas and North at Manitou Ridge GC
• May 21, 9 a.m., CSC Championships (All Schools) at Tanners Brook GC
Wally Wakefield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org